Monday, September 10, 2012

Patience

Instant gratification is not something anyone who is serious about genealogy expects. It takes a lot of digging to find even the hint of a gold nugget. When we find an actual nugget we shout it out to the world. Why? Because there are so few of them and they are so far apart. 

I can dig and dig and dig and dig and continue having the willpower to continue digging until either I find something, or I've exhausted that type of record completely. It's what we do. It's why we have faith that what we found does belong to our ancestor.

Genealogist, the serious ones, have had to learn patience. There really is nothing quick about genealogy. It takes time to prove the family relationships.

So, my question to myself is this: if I can have all the patience in the world when it comes to finding a record that proves or disproves a relationship, why am I so impatient going through the "future family history room" aka "junk room"? 

I've been working on it for several days now. I have done a lot of organization with the papers and pictures as I find them. It all takes time. Lots of time.

I do all the organizing downstairs in my work area. Which looks like a tornado struck it. 

Today I was so frustrated. My living area looks like a bomb went off. My work area looks like ten 2 year olds were let loose after a morning of eating nothing but candy. 

I want to see progress in the space where I spend so much time. I want to see progress in my home.

Today, after losing my temper (I know, unbelievable that I'd lose my temper), I had to stop and evaluate what my goals were. 

My goal was to clean out the east bedroom upstairs so when we fix the downstairs we'll have space to store our stuff as we fix our area. Now is not the time to clean and organize the downstairs. Now is the time to clean the upstairs so we can store things up there as we make our living area better.

Patience is hard right now though when it comes to housework. 

But I will remain patient. Or I'll try to. I'd rather be back searching the 1810 New York Federal Census. 

No comments:

Post a Comment