Sunday, September 02, 2012

New Dedication

It was January of this year, 2012, that I actively, pursued genealogy.

A baby in the world of genealogy.

While that's true, this journey started long before January of 2012.

I can't tell you exactly when it started. Back when I was pretty young. The late 60s or early 70s. But during that time, my mother was doing the actual work. I'd look at her completed work. I'd hear her frustrations, but I couldn't relate to them at that time.

Even in passing those genealogy years in the same household, I'm amazed at how much I picked up from my mother during those years when I wasn't really paying attention to the process she went through. It has helped me these last several months. It put me ahead of where I should be. Not only the information I picked up from her by just being there, but the boxes upon boxes of documentation that she'd acquired.

I thought a year would be enough time to organize her work and get it preserved for future generations. I didn't realize that once I started that process I'd be drawn into the age old question: who was he/she? I didn't plan to add new information. Maybe some new births, deaths, marriages, divorces, etc. But I didn't plan to add new people from past generations.

I didn't plan to fall in love with genealogy. My goal was to preserve what my mother had done long ago.

I didn't plan.

That's the problem. I had one goal and I didn't dream or plan on anything but my goal.

Almost immediately after starting I knew I wanted more than to preserve her records. I wanted to add to her records. I wanted to expand the information. I wanted a clearer picture of who our ancestors really were.

So, I went out and found information. I collected documents. I searched census records. I found new pictures. I added to the already mind-boggling boxes of information that still hasn't been organized.

I've been told that I'm good at this, digging for information. Maybe I am. I don't know. The more I learn the more I realize, I'm nothing but a brand new novice.

How can I change this? Very simply, I'm dedicating myself to learning more than the basics of genealogy. I have family reference books that were Mom's. I purchased a new one a few months ago. What's lacking though are reference books pertaining to genealogy. I've purchased a few in the last few months.

This weekend I purchased several more. If I'm going to do this, even if it's only for my own family, I'm going to do it correctly.

Maybe I'll have the bulk of things organized in a couple years. Maybe I won't. What I do believe is that by this time in 2014, I'll know more about my ancestors and what records carry more weight and what ones aren't as reliable. I'll have a better idea where to go on the local level for records that today I don't even know exist.

My research skills will be better. My ability to access what I find will be better. My ability to explain it's importance, or reliability or lack thereof will be better.

I am dedicating myself to becoming a better genealogist.

No comments:

Post a Comment